Monday, July 14, 2008

Oma Sews Green!

Over the weekend, I worked on some of my sewing projects. I have a dress to sew. I cut out two pairs of slacks on Saturday; and Greg bought a sportcoat on E-Bay that was too short in the sleeves (alterations not included). I also have a fleece jacket ready to make for David for fall; but that won't be needed for a little while. So much to sew; so little time.


The project I chose to work on was . . . none of the above. Several weeks ago there was an article in the Vogue sewing magazine about organic fabrics and some of the places you could get them and what they were generally used for. This peaked my interest. Lo and behold, I got some samples of a black and a tan bamboo fabric from Sawyer Brook very soon after that with one of my orders. The bamboo material was soooo soft and felt so good, I ordered some in the black to make a little summer outfit. I have been really looking forward to this project; and it is something I would want to wear in the summer. So this is what I cut out on Saturday and made yesterday.


The finished outfit is just like pajamas to wear; I absolutely love the feel of it. And it is washable in cool water. I decided on the black fabric because it is a little more dramatic for accessorizing. What do you think? I was impressed!

4 comments:

Emily said...

I like that, Mom, it looks very nice on you. And I never would've guessed that it was a) homemade or b) really comfortable. So good work. :)

Mimi said...

Outfit looks great, Kathy. It looks comfy and soft and I can't even feel it. The red accessories set it off. Makes me want to dig out my sewing machine--almost! Happy sewing,
Linda

Jen said...

You are so talented! I wish I had time to sew because you make it look so fun and easy.

Oma Froehle said...

I think I've rediscovered sewing since Katy and David were born. I didn't do it much for many years; and now I do it for fun instead of because I somehow "should."

It feels like a connection to Mom and my Grandma's; all of whom are/were excellent seamstresses. It's a legacy . . . .