Wednesday, July 02, 2008

"Furries" are Fun!



As you may know, I work in downtown Pittsburgh right across from the Convention Center. This guarantees an endless stream of convention-goers in the plaza of our building; the Federated Investors Tower adjoins the Westin Hotel where many conventions set up their headquarters.



Last week I walked across the 9th Street bridge to attend a meeting on the North Side, and I noticed some unusual looking people around the convention center as I came back along the riverwalk to the office. There were two "women" who seemed to be dressed like cats posing for a photographer along the river's edge. They had masks and ears . . . and long, fuzzy tails. Yes, as in animal tails. At first I didn't think much about it because there are a number of sound stages in Pittsburgh where movies are shot. We occasionally have street closures and such for production companies; and there are at least 5 or 6 movie companies around Pittsburgh at various times. We have several large sound lots that are inexpensive (comparatively), and we have hills and rivers and railroads and heavy industry and lots of settings for producers to pick from. But, I digress . . . . Back to the furries.



The cats and the photographer were soon forgotten until I went back into my building. Along the concourse, there are a bunch of fast food restaurants and a sort of food court area. As I passed through the court, there were more people with animal parts and "interesting" make-up casually eating pizza and chatting with other unique characters. The picture at right is taken at the foot of the escalator where the convention center adjoins the hotel. This critter is coming through the glass doors between the hotel and our office tower . . . and 'he' is right beside said pizza restaurant. (I rest my case.)


Being the savvy sophisticate that I am, I acted like it was perfectly normal to see these critters at the office and headed for the safety of the elevators. When I got beyond the guard station, I asked a fellow employee what was going on. She said, "Oh, it's just the 'Furries!' They come every year."



NO KIDDING? This happens every year? Since when? But, sure enough; she was right. These people call themselves anthropomorphics or "Furries"; and they come to Pittsburgh every year for their convention. You've got to check this out and play the video. Most of the footage here is right in my office building.



I really feel overdressed in a business suit among these people. From Wall Street to . . . Sesame Street?

No comments: