Saturday, July 12, 2008

Honeysuckle Update . . . and Katy Sings!



I know you have all been waiting to hear what I did about my aggressive honeysuckle bush! Well, I decided to do phase 1 pruning because the only tools I really have are a small hand saw and a good set of pruning shears. This morning I reduced both of these animals by about 1/3 with hand tools and got them both back into the Froehle property lines. Mom sent me an article recommending some plants to replace them with for future reference. And this is where we are for the time being.


















Since I am talking a little about my garden, I will also throw in a picture of my "corner" that I added last summer when Greg cut down the pine tree by the porch. They hostas and hydrangea that I planted are doing well. The other added benefit is that I had some lilies along the end of the porch that have been there for several years that never really did anything. Now that the pine tree is gone and they got some TLC and watering, the lilies are beautiful! I must have bought these from Breck's, because the colors are lovely. I'm only showing the kind of "copper" colored one here; but there is another one of similar size in a lemon yellow that is just as pretty.





I am starting to think about some fall planting and am looking at my garden magazines for periennials that show color in early summer . . . like May/June. My spring stuff blooms, and then there is a green gap when nothing much is happening until late June. Anybody got anything you particularly like that blooms then? Anyone interested in swapping plants? I have come great hostas and some daylilies in kind of a butterscotch color. I also could thin my brown eyed Susan's.



Finally, it has been a long week without any Katy hugs and Oma kisses here in Pittsburgh this week. Last Saturday I took my very first video (aka 'bideo') of Katy singing "Jesus Loves Me." Aunt Mel was sort of singing along, and Katy has a couple of puzzle pieces in her hands that seem to be a little distracting. However, I still think this video is great. Greg had to help me by editing it because I held my camera vertically instead of horizontally and then couldn't figure out how to rotate the picture. Therefore, this clip is part of last weekend's fun. Enjoy!


No comments: