Monday, April 14, 2008

New Digs; Downtown

I recently made a job change within Federated Investors. I'm still within the Information Systems Division, but now I am working with both the business AND the technology folks. Since my previous role was working with the Dilbert crowd only, I was working in the "North Hills" part of the city (out closer to Cranberry where we live). As with many of the IT groups, the dress code in Dilbertville is business casual. The parking is free, and you have to driver (rather than walk) anywhere you want to go for lunch or to pick up a stray item that you needed.

With the shift in my responsibilities, I need to work more closely with the business people downtown. A couple of weeks ago, my base of operations moved from the IT building out in the 'burb's to the downtown office tower overlooking the Convention Center. The parking is NOT free; and the dress code is bankers/lawyers business suits. However, you can walk to dozens of stores and restaurants in under 10 minutes; and the view from my new office overlooks the convention center and the Allegheny River. Just beyond the third bridge in the photo above, you can see PNC Park---home of the Pittsburgh Pirates. I can see the players on the field from my spot on the 22nd floor. Just beyond PNC park is Heinz Field---home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. But the best part is the river and the endless stream of boats and barges and crew teams that are up and down there all the time. Even on cloudy days (we have many), it cheers me up to watch the river and know that just beyond PNC Park is the very tip of the mighty Ohio River that has flowed from here for centuries.

There is a lot of work to do, and I can't spend much time looking out the window. It doesn't matter, though. Important things are happening down there. Besides the view, things are always happening at the Convention Center, too. Just this morning, Obama held a rally there; and there were news crews and tons of people and motorcades all over the place. So if I have to get dressed up and drive into town; I might as well enjoy the view and the excitement of being a part of life in the city.

I think I'm going to like it here . . . . Someday soon the man will float by on his bungy cord and wash my dirty windows. Then I might take another picture that is clearer and doesn't have the reflection of the camera on the glass. :-)

3 comments:

Emily said...

I would like working downtown for this reason too. I like the excitement of a city.

At first I thought you meant you'd take a picture of the guy washing your windows - I'd like to see that, too!

Pam said...

I agree with Emily, please post pictures of the window washer. LOL

Unknown said...

I am starting at the North Hills office on May 13... can you please help me with the dress code? I don't want to walk in not looking the part.
Any special tips you can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!