Saturday, March 07, 2009

Lunch with Shane and Louisa!




Thursday I got to meet my friend, Shane, and her 6-month-old daughter, Louisa, for lunch. Shane and I have been long-time lunch buddies at Federated over the last few years; and I have really missed her since she went on maternity leave and then extended into FMLA leave when her husband was called to Iraq on reserve duty. We met at Atria's, and it was great to catch up on her life and my Oma and Mom stories for the last six months.





Louisa was a VERY GOOD girl . . . well, she was pretty interested in grabbing silverware and stuff. But what do you expect when exploring the world is your full-time job? Anyway, Shane and I promised to get together again really soon . . . especially since the weather is getting better.



---------

"A Powerful Noise," the movie I saw Thursday night, was . . . well, powerful. It was a documentary about three women from Vietnam, Bosnia, and Mali who have done amazing things in terrible circumstances to help women overcome poverty and political and economic diversity. After the movie, there was a live simulcast (sp?) of a panel discussion with Madeleine Albright and Natalie Portman and Dr. Helene Gayle and others. My soapbox would include asking you to read two screens of web text here: http://www.apowerfulnoise.org/womenandpoverty.html Make the world a better place for everybody. Educate your girls!! Check out the web site for more information.

-------
Okay, finally, Greg and I had a revelation last night (Friday). After going to a movie on Thursday, I remembered that I kind of like doing this occasionally in the evening. Someone at church last week mentioned "Slumdog Millionaire" to us and said it was worth seeing. Then there was a brief reference to it Thursday night in the panel discussion. So I asked Greg if he wanted to catch a quick dinner and see this movie on Friday after work.

We met at Boston Market for a quick dinner. This turned out to cost us $8.49 because Greg had a coupon for one free entree with a purchase. SWEET! We were ready to drop a twenty at the theater because it was evening instead of a matinee like we usually do. When we bought our tickets, they were $13! AHA!!! The teenager at the booth gave us the SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNT! OMG!! We're over 55! Our whole evening cost $21.49. I hate to say I am a cheap date; but I AM!

With this revelation, my social life has just improved dramatically, folks. I see a whole bunch of dinner and a movie dates in my future. So what movies are worth seeing? Anybody seen anything lately worth watching. (The previews were not too promising, I must admit.)

2 comments:

Mimi said...

I'm not too proud to say I'm a Sr Cit if it gets me a discount, free beverage, etc. I'm proud to have a Golden Buckeye card too. Do they have anything like that in PA? The last movie we saw was "New in Town" with Renee Zellweger/Harry Connick, Jr. Larry and I both enjoyed it. I even think it's on at the cheap theaters now. Enjoy your date nights!

Emily said...

I have no clue. I haven't seen a movie in ages, much to Brian's dismay. I got him a gift card for the cheap theatre for Christmas 07 and we have yet to use it. Pathetic.