Sunday, November 16, 2008

Butterscotch and Bisque!

Santa better trade in his sleigh for a delivery truck this year, because the Froehle Christmas is looking like Homer . . . that is Home Depot is taking over.

As some of you know, the ceramic tile in the kitchen and hallway is cracked and damaged because of some bad decisions about sub-flooring by a previous owner and some water damage from the refrigerator. We have been pricing and exploring options and saving money for replacement of the floor for about two years. We got delayed a couple of times along the way for a number of reasons; but the planets finally aligned; and we are off and running with some updates.


After a hard look at laminate flooring, the installers told us that our floors aren't very level and are not going to work well with that material. So we are getting a pre-finished hardwood from Bruce in a color called "Butterscotch," which is pictured here (sort of). The materials are on order and should be here and installed in early December. I have fond memories of wood floors from childhood days in the house that Dad built in Markle. Memories of sliding on the throw rugs across the freshly-waxed floors and watching my mom mop furiously when the suds saver on the washer ran over and got the floor wet . . . water turns the wood dark!!!! I think the materials have greatly improved. The wood look is still my favorite---hands down.



Ever since we have lived here, the electric range that we bought with the house has given me fits. The house in Beavercreek had built-in appliances, so we took these appliances because they fit and matched the kitchen. Well, the stove is by far the worst range I have ever owned. The oven doesn't heat evenly and routinely burns baked goods on the bottom. The timed bake and cleaning features don't work. The burners are very hard to control. It works for basic things like spaghetti, but don't try to do anything creative. Since we are fixing the floor, we will be moving the stove. So I took this opportunity to say, "Let's just keep the stove going once we get it out of here!"

Greg is partial to gas ranges, so we decided on a new mid-range from Maytag! It's made in the U.S.! I love it! And it will be so wonderful to be able to actually COOK and BAKE without burning things. We are going to have to run the gas line about ten feet across the unfinished basement to put this in. But the plan is to get the range delivered after the floor is installed but before Christmas.

The picture here is the model we got in stainless steel. We are getting "bisque" to go with the kitchen, so the top of the range will be light to match the rest of the frame. Otherwise, I know it isn't as personal as jewelry or lingerie; but I'll take this over a mystery gift from Victoria's Secret!

What do you think, ladies? Would you go for a new hardwood floor and a cook range for Christmas? Maybe I am showing my age that this gets me excited.

3 comments:

Mimi said...

Oh, how I envy you. I'd love new wood floors in our living/dining room and kitchen--and a new gas range--be still my heart! Jewelry is nice, but give me practical any day

Pam said...

Fabulous! It's so exciting to get new things for the house, especially the kitchen. I like the hardwood floors better than laminate - I have laminate and it just never looks clean. It's chipped a couple of places too (toddlers and dogs can get rough)

I tagged you yesterday so hopefully you'll have time to do it.

Oma Froehle said...

Okay, Pam. I answered your tag.

I agree with you on the stuff for the house. We looked at laminate flooring, but things weren't level enough for that to work well. I like this better anyway.

Mimi, I tagged you because Pam tagged me. You can either answer the tag in comments or e-mail me and I'll post it if you want to play.

YIPPEEE!!!