Monday, November 12, 2007

Six Things I Like about You . . . Katy! (Grandchildren in general.)

There are a lot of things I don't like about being OLD enough to be a grandmother; but these things have not deterred me from being really crazy about Katy and little newbie baby Mowery and any other grandbabies that come along. The me-me that Jen and Emily did last was too long and painful for me, so I am starting my own. It is the top six things I like about children . . . and especially about the cutest child on the planet (for the time being), Katy.

1) Katy eats what she likes and spits out the rest. As an adult, this is something I would like to try. To top that, I feel guilty if all I have for lunch is fish crackers and milk. Katy is amazingly free from the knowledge of a healthy diet. Her food choices are simple.

2) Life is interesting when you are a kid. Things like light switches and cardboard boxes are hours of entertainment for Katy. It is so cheap to have fun when a chair that swivels around is an amusement park as long as you have an Opa or other adult willing to spin you in a circle.

3) Katy is the ultimate "I'm okay, you're okay" representative. The grumpiest store clear will smile at Katy. Maybe its because she always smiles back or something. Do you think maybe all our ambassadors to other countries should be aged four and under?

4) When a kid gets tired, you can pick them up and put them to bed. This would be a really handy feature for some adults who seem to have trouble getting enough rest and end up inflicting themselves on the rest of us. Not only that, but a crib is a safe place to take a break from the world if it gets to be too much! Sometimes I could use a crib myself.

5) Katy has no plans. She lives totally in the present. This is what "one day at a time" is all about. Plans and regrets clutter up your life. I need to remember this!

6) Katy looks cute in anything she wears. Except for a few specialty shops, you can pretty much buy her a whole outfit for under $20 anywhere. In an age where a pair of pantyhose costs $7 or $8, it is still amazing that you can buy an outfit for ANYBODY for so little. Maybe this is why it is so much fun to shop for the kiddo . . . because it feels like you are getting so much.

I'm sure there are other lessons to be learned from toddlers, but it is getting late. In the interest of not being a grumpy adult tomorrow, I'm turning in. Ni-night, Katy!

No comments: