Saturday, June 27, 2009

Spendin' My Gift Cards


The kids have given me a couple of gift cards in the last year, and I have been waiting for the mood to strike me to spend them. One of them was a card for $25 at Joann Fabrics which I used to buy a zipper or something and then put it away in my wallet and forgot about it. The other was a Mother's Day card from Brian and Emily toward golf stuff at Dick's Sporting Goods. Well, today was pay day on the gift cards!


On my way back from getting my nails done this morning, I stopped at Joann Fabrics. Their superstore in Cranberry was having a lot of clearance on summer stuff. I used my gift card plus a few bucks and tax to get this mosaic-topped table to put on the porch. The wicker one we have been using is very ratty looking and isn't level enough to set a glass on without it tipping over. So I am thrilled with this new setup. This will be great for our long summer evenings on the porch after work.


After Joann's, I was on a roll. I swung by Dick's Sporting Goods on my way home, and they were ALSO having a summer clearance sale. I got a wonderful LizGolf skort and shirt with my Dick's gift certificate. For those of you who wonder why a golf skort is different from any other skort, the big answer is POCKETS. Lots of women's pants and skirts do not have pockets! I know, guys, this is hard to imagine for somebody who doesn't do a purse; but that's the way it is. This lack of pockets is a real pain in the wazoo on the golf course. Where do you put the tees and the extra balls and your marker and stuff? My new skort is RED with BIG WHITE POLKA DOTS like Minnie Mouse or Betty Boop. It is awesome. I got a plain, white golf shirt to go with it. The other thing about golf clothes that is good is that they are often made of moisture-wicking material that is cooler than regular clothes---and some of them even have UV protection in the fabric to keep you from getting sunburned. So golf clothes are kind of bionic.

I am tickled to death with my bargains and with using my presents on such fun stuff. It's like having a birthday and Mother's Day all over again in June.

I'm hoping to get Greg out later today to play 9 holes with me. I need the practice, and he hasn't been out this year. We used to play together almost every weekend, but this year has been busy with family travel. I just hate to waste a beautiful day like this at the computer . . . .

2 comments:

Emily said...

Glad you were able to get some bang for your fake-buck. :) Sounds really good! You'll have to post a picture of yourself in that skirt.

Unknown said...

Wow.!! I like the way you used Joann Fabrics gift card.