Sunday, May 03, 2009

Weekend Update for the first of May!


Greg and I went to our first Pittsburgh Pirates game of the season on Friday night. It rained on us a little bit, but our seats were great and we didn't care. The Pirates played Cincinnati, and although I wore a Pirates hat, it was hard not to get confused and root for the Reds. :-) Old habits die hard. We bought 4 games this season so far from a shared season ticket pair at the office. Maybe we will do some more when people come to visit. PNC Park is the most beautiful ball park I've ever been in.

Before the game on Friday, I looked up the roster on the web site, and then I bought a scorecard at the park. The best way to get to know the players and stay in the game is to keep score. Greg was impressed with my score-keeping ability. Of course, thanks to Dick, I have lots of experience AND expertise in this area. Dick and I actually met when I was the scorekeeper for the company softball team at Specialty Papers. I learned score-keeping from pros. Here are my sheets from Friday. They aren't complete because I had to keep the card under my raincoat part of the time to keep it semi-dry. But you can still tell that the Reds won 4-0. We had fun, though, and got free Pirates umbrellas (made in China) for attending the game.



On Saturday, we slept in. I got the piano tuned in the morning. Dan came and raised the pitch and got my baby back in shape. I spent a lot of time at the piano yesterday enjoying the great harmonies that were now in perfect pitch. It was wonderful. I'll be back up there in a little bit to play some more.

Later on in the day on Saturday, I went for my "April" massage at Massage Envy. I was really relaxed; Bron does a great job when she stretches the muscles. After that I topped off the afternoon with a trip to Joann Fabrics where I purchased some lovely black and gray and hot pink print fabric that Mom would probably call "whipped cream" to make a flowy skirt. (This is all over the island in the kitchen awaiting my attention as I write this.)
And on the way home, I stopped at Dick's Sporting Goods and bought a new golf bag from the clearance rack. My bag was one that had legs to prop itself, which have long since been broken. The big problem, though is that the pockets aren't big enough. My new bag has a place for your cell phone and an insulated pocket for your water bottle, etc. It will help me keep play moving. I also have my eye on a new hand cart at Dick's; but it wasn't in the budget right now. Maybe next month.
My golf score this week improved dramatically from last week. I was a deplorable 74 for NINE HOLES last week. I got in a sand trap at one point and wracked up about 5 strokes being in the hole. Anyway, this week I shot a 56 and even had one bogie on a par 4 hole. So I am encouraged that I can improve at this game. And it is a lot of fun to play over at Clover Hill with other women and feel safe about being a relative beginner at this game. Maybe I will take a few more lessons after the gardening season gets a little further on and the yard work isn't looming.

Well, I need to go for my walk, play the piano some more, cut out my sewing project, and download my banking stuff into Quicken. Better get busy. Have a great week!

1 comment:

Greg said...

Kathy asked me to tend her scorecard while she went to brush her hair. The first batter walked; the next guy bunted him over and the third baseman threw to second but the throw was late, all safe; the third guy bunted them both over... I was a nervous wreck, I had no idea what lines to draw. Mercifully, Kathy returned. Sorry, no more hair brushing until the game is over.