Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Post #2 - On to the McHenry Clan!

On Saturday, we all gathered at Granny and Grandpa's house for a celebration with my brother's family and our kiddo's. Since we are re-populating the kids' table, this party gets more fun every year. Besides Katy and David, there is Gabe, who is the same age as Katy. And Abby and Stan are expecting little "Chip" around Valentine's Day; so next year will be four kids under the age of 3-1/2. What a joy! Here are a few pix and stories from the second Christmas (sort of like the second breakfast in Lord of the Rings.)


Ever since Gabe visited Granny and Grandpa last spring, he has had a fascination with tractors! His favorite songs and video's on U-Tube are about tractors, and he sings a song about "International Harvestor" with great gusto. Here is is playing with an old "Johnny Jump-Up" that Granny and Grandpa found in the barn in Markle. In spite of the new stuff, Gabe still liked this tractor about the best of everything.


When my baby brother, Neil, was small, his favoite toy was a stuffed monkey named Zippy that he took EVERYWHERE. When I was looking at catalogs this fall, I came across the Vermont Country Store advertising a "cheerful chimp" that was an updated look-alike for Zippy! I had to get this for Neil's grandson, Gabe. Here is a picture of Neil inspecting the NEW Zippy for authenticity. (Zip passed.)

David kind of liked this green bow. He really thought the part about eating dinner after we opened the presents was the best idea.


Mayhem #1. Abby, Bonnie, Grandpa, Katy,Granny, Gabe, Emily, and Brian.



Mayhem #2. Granny, Katy, Gabe, Stan and Brian.


This is Melanie and I relaxing and watching the proceedings as gifts were opened. You had to pace yourself with this crowd. Opa took most of these pictures. He's not IN a single one!

Bonnie and Abby and Gabe are enjoying the festivities here. Gabe liked the accordion that Oma and Opa got for Katy; however, Katy was afraid of it for some reason. Continuing my musical tradition, I try to get some kind of a music maker for somebody for every holiday.




This is Neil. He isn't an easy one to get a picture of, so I took this opportunity to post him.




Gabe liked his Sesame Street shirt. Here he is identifying all the characters. It isn't good to wear a shirt if you don't know who is on the front of it.


On Sunday morning, Grandpa got out the tricycle and took Katy for a ride around the kitchen and living room. Her legs were too too short to reach the pedals, but Grandpa-power took care of the problem.

Both of our Christmas celebrations were wonderful. And now I am sitting here staring at the last few hours of 2008 and thinking how many wonderful things happened . . . in spite of all the hype about kissing this crummy year good-bye. I can find a lot to be happy about in 2008, and I have to believe there is hope for 2009. Have a wonderful, safe evening. I'm off to do my exercise video of Latin Dancing with "Dancing with the Stars." I'm getting a head start on my continuing commitment to make sure I get some kind of exercise every day in the coming year.

What's your commitment/resolution for 2009?

No comments: