Sunday, July 22, 2007

Home from Paradise . . . Nemacolin Woodlands!


This weekend, Greg and I were able to enjoy a trip to Nemacolin Woodlands in south, central Pennsylvania to get away from the stress and pressures. Our stay was Friday night to Sunday, and we really enjoyed the great food and relaxing atmosphere. It was great to walk on the beautiful grounds and indulge in a few simple pleasures like a pedicure. The color is called "Flirt." What do you think? This picture was taken from the balcony of our room in the lodge. It overlooked the front entrance and the spa and was a relaxing place to drink our coffee and read the newspaper on Saturday morning.




Nemacolin has a beautiful art collection all over the grounds including glass works, sculpture, prints, oil paintings, and so on. I had attended a business meeting at Nemacolin a while ago, and I was impressed with the fact that they have an actual section of the Berlin Wall on display on the grounds. So this time, Greg took my picture with the wall this morning on our walk so that you can share in my amazement. It just astounds me that this was such a symbol of the cold war that is now nothing but a curiousity that kids study about in history in school. I already feel old, but this makes it worse! Maybe I am really older than dirt like the kids say that I am.


Greg was a charming companion all weekend. He even indulged me while I shopped for almost an hour in the trendy shops that are always around a resort. And when I kept going back to this one purse but hesitating to buy it, he just took it down and paid for it and put me out of my misery. Now THAT is true love! Or maybe he was just tortured by the shopping and wanted it to end . . . . But I think it was true love. :-)



Greg checked out the many statues of musicians around the grounds, but he also appreciated some of the whimsical things like the toy firetruck for the kids to pretend they were firemen. So I took his picture driving the firetruck. What this picture doesn't show is Greg trying to get OUT of the truck after the picture. That was truly a masterpiece.



Anyway, it is good to be home after a great weekend. The weather is absolutely perfect, and I need to go sit on the porch!

2 comments:

Pam said...

What a great weekend you had. Full of lovely memories and a pedicure! Hope you don't mind me reading your blog but I enjoy it.
Pam

Jen said...

Sounds like a fun weekend!

We'll be in Pittsburgh with the kids and Nathan's parents around 9/13 and 14 (give or take a day, those dates aren't set in stone yet). Feel up for a visit from all of the Curleys? =)