Saturday, August 22, 2009

Lucky Clover Golf Outing

Today was our annual, year-end golf outing at Chestnut Ridge Golf Course near Indiana, PA.  Six or seven of us met at Eat 'N Park on Route 8 for breakfast at 6:30 this morning.  After that, we made the hour-long trek out the Turnpike and beyond to the course.  About 30 of us teed off starting a little after 9 a.m.  We finished up about 3:00 this afternoon with a meal fit for a king and our prizes and awards.  It was a great day on the golf course.

For some reason, there were lots of bugs on the course.  Here Joanne models the mosquito net headwear that made the course so much more enjoyable for her.  (That's Fritzie driving the cart.)
My photography skills are not very good.  This is Coleen and Ruth rounding a curve on the cart path.  (So, use your imagination, for Pete's sake.)
Here are Pat and Jenn, who were part of our foursome!
This is Kathy B., who is a Zonta buddy and the person who invited me to join the Lucky Clover league.  She was my partner today.
This is an example of the beautiful course we played.  Thankfully this water hazard was not this wide in front of the tee box.  It was even prettier when you didn't have to hit over it.
I had not played 18 holes all season, and this was a long course for me.  I had a whopping 150 on the round and 'won' the prize for the most putts.  However, I did win a skill prize for the longest drive in my flight.  I also had the most points for the year in my flight; which means I showed up almost every week and with my handicap I managed to beat my opponent.  I improved a lot this year even though I still have a long way to go to be mediocre.  But . . . the operative word here is PLAY golf.  And playing is something none of us get to do enough.
Thanks, ladies, for a great season!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Hey!
Bugs are EVERYWHERE this season aren't they.
I'm glad you had fun & you made me feel better. People I work with complain if they score 90 and I'm probably 200, so I never feel good about the game & haven't golfed in 3 years. But you've inspired me!