Sunday, December 31, 2006

The Blue Dress . . .

. . . has been around since 1977 when Marilyn Grube gave it to Emily as a baby gift. I loved the smocking and saved the dress for Emily's 6-month picture, which turned out to be one of my all-time favorite baby pictures of her. When Melanie came along, the blue dress came out of the cedar chest as good as new. So 8 years later, I had Melanie's picture taken in the dress at age 6 months. It turned out to be a favorite as well, and I have had the 8X10 pictures of Emily and Melanie in a double frame somewhere in my house for the last 21 years. Who could blame me? Aren't they adorable?


Not long ago I got out my box of baby stuff to see what I might have in the way of blankets and baby stuff for Katy. (I had to set up a crib and everything, of course!) Lo and behold, there was the blue dress! And it is just as sweet today as it was 29 years ago. I promptly washed the outfit and gave it to Emily asking her to get Katy's picture taken in it for me so I could add to my collection. The Christmas portraits were the perfect occasion, and Emily did a quick change and had Katy photographed in my favorite dress. The outcome is stunning! She does look a little like her mommy.



Greg (or maybe it was Brian) has already asked me if I will also require any future grandsons to be photographed in the dress. I certainly will come up with another outfit for a boy . . . just as long as it is blue. But we will cross that bridge when we come to it.

No comments: